I like sharing things and I like making things easier, if not for me, at least the others who might be doing the same thing I do. This is a guide on how to make your J-1/Au Pair Visa application easier, cheaper and more efficient. Please note that this is specifically what I did, may vary when you apply sine things may change.
As soon as you decide to be an Au Pair, I suggest you prepare the money you’ll be needing because it happens really fast.
- Register in an Au Pair Designated Sponsor Organization.
- Make sure to list or register yourself as J-1 (they usually have other option) and complete the Au Pair Training (usually free of charge).
- Find a kind and loving host family. You’ll be interviewed by the family then the organization.
- At the same time, Authenticate the following Documents: College AND High School TOR including Diploma, Birth Certificate, CENOMAR and a complete medical check-up (the Agency usually provides a medical form to use or as a guide).
- Make sure you have a valid Driver’s License (you’re required to have an International Driver’s Permit***Link to how to get AAP**.
- Wait for the confirmation e-mail that says you have a Host Family Match.
- Follow the instructions in the e-mail. This is the part where they usually refer you to a Philippine-based agency to re-verify your documents. This is also the part where you’ll have to [pay the local agency]**SSAYEI feedback** to be able to move forward with the application.
- Schedule an appointment with US Embassy **Link to Visa Application instructions**
- As soon as you receive the Visa from Embassy notify your Agency. Trust me, after this, you’ll cram because it happens like a blink of an eye.
*Note: Please be sure that your Passport is valid for at least 2 years from the time you applied. Just to play safe.